- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
Making an Appointment
To schedule an initial appointment, go to the Forester Health and Wellness patient portal. You may also stop by the reception desk in the Health and Wellness Center located in Buchanan Hall. If those options are not possible, you may call 847-735-5240.
You will be asked to complete a Confidential Client Information Form, and then you will be scheduled for an initial assessment interview. During this first session, you and your counselor will determine how to best meet your individual needs. Counseling assignments are made on the basis of the immediacy of need and service availability. When a student must be seen immediately, his/her assignment to a counselor is given priority. If you have any questions about your counselor, please discuss them during your assessment session.
Your counseling sessions
Initially, your sessions will involve talking about your concerns and building a working relationship with your counselor or group members. You will work to define realistic goals for treatment, explore options, and make responsible decisions.
A trusting relationship with your counselor is important so that you may explore your concerns openly and honestly. If you feel uncomfortable or have concerns about the work you are doing with your counselor, please discuss these issues. This will make your counseling experience more productive and worthwhile.
Making the most of your experience
1. Keep appointments. If you find you are unable to keep an appointment, please call to cancel at least 24 hours in advance.
2. Be prompt. If you are going to be late, please let us know so that your counselor can wait for you or reschedule if appropriate.
3. Be an active participant. Take an active part in deciding how you want to use the time. Give feedback to your counselor and be honest with yourself and your counselor.
4. Discuss your needs. If you want to discontinue counseling, or you have other concerns, share this with your counselor instead of just dropping out.