- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/42360_HOMECOMING_darker.rev.1523377981.jpg)"/>
Communications and Marketing
TEDx speakers announced
After a competitive selection process, 11 speakers have been chosen for the sold-out TEDxLakeForestCollege event on October 27.
The speakers come from all backgrounds to tell their stories, including three students, four faculty members, and four outside guests.
Lake Forest College students chosen to speak—and their topics—are:
- Emily Murman ’18: “Tall Poppies: Growing up Gifted”
- Krista Wickramasekera ’20: “The Glasses We Wear”
- Sandra Khouri ’20: “Not a Victim or a Survivor, Just Healing”
TEDxLakeForestCollege also will include Forester faculty members:
- Assistant Professor of History and African American Studies Courtney Cain: “Walking the Curved Line to the PhD”
- Associate Professor of Communication Linda Horwitz: “The Pledge of Allegiance as Civic Pedagogy”
- Professor of Psychology Matthew Kelley: “How the **** Does Memory Work?”
- Assistant Professor of Sociology and Anthropology Todd Beer: “Climate Justice: Thinking About Global Warming Through A Different Lens”
Additionally, the outside guest speakers selected are:
- Andrew Gabelic, founder of the artificial intelligence startup Teledipity: “We’re Lucky We’re Millennials Drowning in Debt”
- Joanna Thompson, community outreach and engagement voordinator at Center on Halsted: “The Space Between: To Be Mixed-Race and Queer”
- Kelley Kitley, psychotherapist: “I Show My Scars So Others Know They Can Heal”
- Richard Lorenzen, entrepreneur and investor: “Why We Need More Young Entrepreneurs”
You can find more information about the speakers and their talks at the official website of TEDxLakeForestCollege.
The TEDxLakeForestCollege is a student-run event. It is organized by director and lead organizer Hakob Parsamyan ’20 and executive producer Hajar Habbal ’20. The event will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, October 27. Tickets for the event are already sold out.