- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
Off-Campus Study and Financial Aid
If you have been approved to study off campus, you should be aware of several financial aid and billing issues. Please review this carefully and contact the Director of Financial Aid if you have any questions.
Program costs and your financial aid
You may already know if your financial aid can help you with the costs of your program. If you are not sure, please check with the Director of Financial Aid for clarification. Generally, if you are receiving need-based financial aid, you may use your financial aid for a Lake Forest, ACM, or Washington Semester program. If you are studying on a consortium program, you must be approved by the Consortium Committee to use this aid toward the costs of that program.
If you are receiving non-need-based financial aid (scholarship) from the College, the scholarship(s) may or may not be applicable toward the costs of your program. As it depends on the specific program, you must check with the Director of Financial Aid to find out if your scholarship is applicable to your chosen program.
If you have been approved to apply the financial aid you receive to the costs of your program, you must complete the following steps.
1. Renew your financial aid for the school year in the same way you would if you were planning to be on campus. To do so, complete the renewal application process with the Office of Financial Aid no later than May 1.
2. If you will be participating in a consortium program, provide the Director of Financial Aid with a complete billing statement from the program and a breakdown of all costs by May 1.
After completing the above steps, you will receive a Financial Aid Announcement detailing your financial aid eligibility - and the amount you will owe - for the entire school year, including the semester you will be away.
The billing process
You will receive a Statement of Account (“bill”) from the College’s business office for the semester you will be studying off campus.This statement will include the costs of your off-campus program that are billed to you by the program. The financial aid you qualify to receive will also be included on this statement.
If the financial aid you are eligible to receive does not cover all of the costs, you are responsible for paying the difference to Lake Forest’s business office. The College will, in turn, submit payment on your behalf to the college/university that hosts the off-campus program. If your financial aid exceeds these billing costs, a refund will be made to you after our semester begins. You may use this refund to help with some of the miscellaneous costs you will have. If you are expecting a refund, please meet with the Student Accounts Coordinator to determine the best method of making this refund available to you (direct deposit, etc.).
Lake Forest programs
The Statement of Account will include Lake Forest’s tuition and the applicable room, board, excursion fees, as well as other fees associated with the individual program. You will continue to make any payment for your share of these costs directly to Lake Forest’s Business Office.
The Statement of Account will include Lake Forest’s tuition and the program fee, less the deposit you make directly to the ACM. Lake Forest College will pay the tuition and remaining program fee directly to ACM on your behalf. You will continue to make any payment for your share of these costs directly to Lake Forest’s Business Office.
Washington Semester through American University
The Statement of Account will include only LFC tuition and the cost difference between LFC tuition and American University tuition (currently $110). LFC will pay the tuition cost directly to American University on your behalf. You will continue to make any payment for your share of this tuition cost directly to Lake Forest’s Business Office. Your Statement of Account will not include your room and board costs while in Washington. You pay these costs directly to American University.
The Statement of Account will include only the costs for which we are billed from the other school (for example, tuition, program fees), and an LFC $250 consortium administrative fee. This consortium administrative fee covers the processing charges associated with allowing your financial aid to help with these costs. We will pay the tuition and program fees directly to the other school on your behalf. You will continue to make any payment for your share of these costs directly Lake Forest’s Business Office.
You may find that you are directly responsible for some expenses, such as room and board and travel. In these cases, Lake Forest College cannot add these costs to the Statement of Account you receive from us. You are responsible for paying these costs directly to the appropriate place. This is especially true in the case of the Washington Semester program through American University. Lake Forest College is responsible for paying the tuition cost to American University; you are responsible for paying the room and board costs directly to American University.