• <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>


Federal Stafford Loans

The Stafford Loan is the most common of all federal student loans.  The “subsidized” loan is awarded when you have financial need; the “unsubsidized” loan is awarded if you do not have financial need, or if your need has already been met by other types of financial aid.

First-time borrowers must complete both the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note.
How to apply, step-by-step

Follow these steps if you are a first time borrower:

  1. Go to https://studentloans.gov
  2. Sign in using your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID.
        •  Do not use your parent’s FSA ID.
        •  Create an FSA ID? Did you forget yours? Go to fsaid.ed.gov.
  3. To complete the Entrance Counseling:
    1. Please select “Complete Loan Counseling
    2. Then select Start to complete the Entrance Counseling
    3. Add Lake Forest College and click “Notify this school
    4. Complete all five steps
  4. To complete the Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN):
    1. Return to the home page
    2. Please select “Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)”
    3. Then select Start to complete the MPN for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans
    4. Complete all four steps
  5. Print and save a copy for your records.
Important Information:

To accept a smaller loan, print your Award Letter, write in the amount you need and place your initials to the right. Return a copy of the award letter to Financial Aid. 

To decline a loan completely, print your Award Letter, draw a lite through the loan and place your initials to the right. Return a copy of the Award Letter to Financial Aid. 

You may also use this Change of Loan Request Form to reduce/decline a loan.


What Happens Next

The Office of Financial Aid will receive word that you have completed the Counseling and MPN.  After we certify the loan (confirm your eligibility) the loan funds will be sent to the College and applied to your tuition account.  You will receive a notice from the College’s Business Office when the funds have been applied to your account.

Is there a time limit on how long I can receive loans?

If you are a first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.” Your maximum eligibility period is generally based on the published length of your current program.



Adriana Rodriguez
Assistant Director of Financial Aid