- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
Dean of the Faculty, Provost, and Professor of Mathematics Steven P. Galovich once proposed an idea that would highlight his passion for the academic work of students. He believed that Lake Forest College should devote a day during the academic year to showcase students and their research. He was so committed to the idea that he recommended the cancellation of classes on that day so students could freely attend and participate in all the events.
The First Annual Student Symposium was held April 7, 1998. Nearly 1,000 members of the College community attended 118 student presentations, poster sessions, concerts and recitals throughout the day and evening. Never one to stay in his office, a beaming Dean Galovich made a point to go to as many sessions as possible.
Now, twenty years later, the Student Symposium is stronger than ever. Once again this year, we expect an impressive array of students and campus groups to present, perform, demonstrate, and share their scholarship and artistic talents with the College community.
While he would never have taken credit for the idea, Steven Galovich’s mark on this event is undeniable. When he died unexpectedly in December 2006, Lake Forest College decided to honor his legacy by renaming an occasion that has become an integral part of the College.