- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
Writing Center Services
The Center is dedicated to contributing to a writing culture on campus, supporting student writers in meeting the challenge of college-level writing, and ensuring that faculty members have the resources they need to teach writing effectively and efficiently.
A regular appointment is a one-time appointment. Any student at the college can schedule a regular appointment from Sunday through Friday with any available tutor. In this type of appointment, the tutor can help with a specific writing assignment while also providing the client with general writing skill development.
A standing appointment is a once-a-week appointment scheduled with the same tutor. In this type of appointment, the tutor helps both with individual writing projects and with general writing skill development.
This type of appointment is helpful to:
Students who have several writing intensive courses and are writing several papers at once;
Students who need support for learning and practicing the technical skills of writing such as grammar, word choice, and style;
Students who lack positive experiences with academic writing and want support for developing ideas throughout a structured writing process.
When to schedule:
Standing appointments can be scheduled at any point in the semester. Of course, for optimal benefit, the earlier in the semester, the better.
The Coordinator of the Writing Center serves as the professional tutor.
Professional tutoring is necessary when:
A student’s confidentiality is of major concern, such as in remediation of academic honesty or academic probation;
Close monitoring, assessment and communication with college personnel is necessary, such as in meeting certain graduation or other academic expectations;
A student lacks sufficient writing experience or confidence to engage effectively with peer tutors.
A student is multilingual and needs support in English writing structures and vocabulary proficiency.
Writing Pedagogy Consultation and Course Support
The Director of Writing Programs is available to do the following:
Discuss and develop individual writing assignments or a set of assignments for a course;
Develop writing materials, such as grading rubrics, assignment descriptions, and peer editing materials;
Discuss and develop writing policies for courses;
Work with departments in developing writing intensive courses or writing policies;
Assess and develop support plans for individual students or advisees;
Conduct or assist with in-class writing workshops or presentations;
Support for trying new writing instructional strategies such as peer- editing workshops, writing conferencing, or in-class discussions about student writing.