• <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/60/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29997_13537953983_5cff365fc4_o.rev.1450805192.jpg)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/60/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29122_10401981_1004028349629458_8008107117841765376_n.rev.1446045049.jpg)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/60/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29998_8071086937_683d5a422f_o.rev.1450805230.jpg)"/>
  • <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/60/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29999_6856950268_ed6442d1ca_o.rev.1450805264.jpg)"/>

Off-Campus Study

Credit and Transcripts

Students must complete all requirements from the Office of Off-Campus Programs, including pre-departure course approvals and returnee surveys, in order to have their grades earned off-campus to appear on their Lake Forest College transcript.  Students who fail to do this before the next term starts may find that they do not have enough credits to be eligible to receive financial aid.

Program Credit

Students will earn Lake Forest credit for all programs included on the College’s approved list of affiliated off-campus study programs.  

For Lake Forest program courses taught by Lake Forest faculty, the grades will appear on the transcript and count toward the GPA.  These courses include College faculty-taught courses in the Loop and the Lake Forest College Border Studies program.  Students may opt with Lake Forest’s Office of the Registrar to take these courses as Pass/Fail.

For all other courses/programs on the approved list of affiliated off-campus study programs, the course titles and grades will appear on the transcript, and be considered Lake Forest credit.  (EXCEPTION: Chinese Government Scholarship - see below.) However, the grades will not count toward the GPA except for Dean’s List and honors calculations.  Students may not opt to take these courses as Pass/Fail through the College, but may elect to do so if allowed by their host program.  Not all host programs allow Pass/Fail, and students should confirm with their departmental advisor at Lake Forest to determine whether their department will accept Pass/Fail courses toward the major or minor.

Participants in any other programs, including summer programs and the semester-long Chinese Government Scholarship, will earn transfer credit for courses completed with grades of C- or better. All programs must be approved by the College before transfer credit can be earned; certain programs may have been pre-approved for transfer credit and students can consult with Ashley Sinclair, Director of Off-Campus Programs, for details.  Course titles and grades earned for transfer credit will appear on the College transcript, but those grades will not be calculated in the GPA except for honors calculations.  Transfer credit is not eligible to count for Dean’s List.

Grading Policy

Different host institutions or countries have different grading policies than those at Lake Forest College, and that the College is not able to change your grade.

Students cannot choose to withdraw from a course after the grade has been received, nor ask the Registrar to not post one of the courses.  

The College cannot change student grades received on outside programs to Pass/Fail.